Image

Trailer Park Nirvana image created by Stefany Kleeschulte.



Thursday, May 23, 2013

We're sorry, this content cannot be viewed outside the United States

One of the more frustrating things about living here has been the limited access to movies and music on the internet. No free Hulu movies, no renting Amazon movies, no watching full episodes of Criminal Minds, no buying mp3s. I guess if I were an i-thingy kind of person - iPad or iPod or iWhatever - I could take advantage of iTunes but I'm not. Besides, I'm not sure how much iTunes' content is available outside of the U.S.

There is now Netflix Mexico but I couldn't get that to work. I don't want to use any of those download sites like Pirate Bay because I'm paranoid about viruses.

So one of the things that saved me from feeling culturally deprived was my Kindle e-reader. As least I could feed my need for instant gratification with books from Amazon.

Then suddenly one day I could purchase mp3s from Amazon. A friend was visiting last fall and she tried it on her Kindle Fire and was able to successfully buy an mp3. What the hell? So I tried it from my computer and tada! it worked. With no hoopla or notice, people outside the U.S. (at least here in Mexico) were able to buy mp3s.

Books and music. That's a start.

I gave my mom my Kindle when I upgraded to a Kindle Fire.

One night I was roaming around on the Kindle Fire and just for the hell of it I clicked the rent button for "Silver Linings Notebook" and voila, there it was. I was so shocked that I couldn't concentrate on the movie. I figured it was a fluke so the next night I tried it again. Bingo! "The Promised Land" with Matt Damon and Frances McDormand.

Free Prime instant videos are still holding out, expressing their condolences that because I'm out of the U.S. I can't view them. But I keep trying, knowing that it's only a matter of time until they cave.

I love the Kindle Fire. The Dolby sound is terrific. I've enjoyed watching movies in bed and last Sunday I sat outside beading with the Kindle propped up on the table, watching some lame chick flick. The battery life of the Fire is good and can be extended by keeping the wireless signal off. Setting up my email account was super easy. And I can even download transcription jobs on the Kindle to be uploaded to my laptop which is what I plan on doing when I'm on this road this summer. (When did we get to the point where laptops are considered big and cumbersome?)

Finally I'll get caught up on movies! I don't mind paying a rental fee - to me it's worth it. And when I'm in the States I plan on taking advantage of the free Prime movies as often as possible. I'm not sure if I'll regret not getting the 4g version. If so some day my mom will be getting this Kindle Fire HD 8.9"....

4 comments:

  1. I may have to upgrade to the Kindle Fire at some point. I lovelovelove my Kindle Paperwhite. But I think I simply don't know what I'm missing yet since I haven't experienced the Fire. We'll see. :) Either way, love me some Amazon.com! Glad you can now get more content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Ms S...i think the Fire is great for travel - movies, music, email, books. i know a lot of that can be accessed from iPhones and androids and such but, yeah, i'm lovin' me some amazon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making it difficult to remain wonderfully satisfied with my Kindle Touch. I'm glad your Fire is doing so well.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  4. jd, i guess if i lived in the states in a real place where i could buy real books and go to movie theaters, i wouldn't have a kindle at all. but for trailer life, it can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete